The BrandUn Deshay Interview

By Jonny Drama on 1:57 PM

Filed Under:



You better watch out for this kid, he's on the come up, working with charles hamilton, dom kennedy and doing shows for maino and hollywood holt, world, meet Brandun Deshay.

Jonny Drama: you ready?

brandUn DeShay: ha yea

Jonny Drama: so 1st and foremost is brandun deshay your real name, and if not where did it come from?

brandUn DeShay: yea, my dad named me that, it was somethin else at birth but he aint like the other one, only my wifey knows it, i wont spill what it was.

Jonny Drama: haha understandable

Jonny Drama: so where are you from and has where you're from had any affect on the music you make?

brandUn DeShay: im from chicago, grew up in the burbs most of my life though, it had an effect on my music cuz it made me get into all types of mediums of music, when i create, its from all types of genres.

Jonny Drama: so are there any artists in particular that inspire you?

brandUn DeShay: Oh yea, Shel Silverstein and John Mayer, Shel got me into using my imagination, and John was big for helpin me pull my feelings into music.

Jonny Drama: i saw some video the other day of john mayer fuckin around on a mpc, you should hit him up for a callabo haha

brandUn DeShay: yea i wish, thats my dream collab.

Jonny Drama: what would be your top five callabos then?

brandUn DeShay: John Mayer, Charles Hamilton, Kanye West, Quincy Jones and......im stumped, oh! Yuzo Koshiro.

Jonny Drama: so how would you classify your music?

brandUn DeShay: like.....its obviously hip hop, but to me, its not, its just music.

Jonny Drama: have you ever had any discouragin moments when you started making music?

brandUn DeShay: nah, when i started, i had positive people around me, they always thought i was dope even when i wasnt, i get more discouraged now than ever cuz my expectations are too high. Im less satisfeied with everything around me,literally everything. I know the possiblities and now i need them all.

Jonny Drama: I heard that you know Charles Hamilton on some personal level, he gave you a shout out on his blog recently.

brandUn DeShay: yea, we were jus talkin like 5 secs ago, thats why i was answering slow, im still in awe about it, my life is odd.

Jonny Drama: got any favorite songs from vol. 1 for the money and vol. 2 for the show?

brandUn DeShay: oooooh yea, Go Fly A Kite is my favorite, i love other ones too, but that one was so magical, everything about it, from the creation period til the finished version, its the track that i said was goin to open doors for me.

Jonny Drama: what about vol. 2?

brandUn DeShay: vol 2...its a tie between Fxck You and Dream Chasers, Fxck You was magic too. Dream Chasers was the most pro prodcution ive ever done.

Jonny Drama: i like autunm 94 alot, streets of rage was my shit haha

brandUn DeShay: haha, yo thats my favorite game, ever, my life is the way it is because of it. Like how CH takes his Sonic seriously, im like that wit Streets Of Rage 2.

brandUn DeShay: if this rappin dont work, imma go into video game composing, i'll push the idea of a new Streets Of Rage if i can, then do the soundtrack of course.

Jonny Drama: oh, on headphones and motivational speakers my friend thinks you sampled zelda, did you?

brandUn DeShay: ha actually, i aint make that compo, Kream Team made that one, and its original i think, shout out to Kream Team.



Jonny Drama: whats your day to day life like at the moment?

brandUn DeShay: well, school in the mornin like every other kid, then listenin to music and creating music, thats basically it, i dont hang out ever really. just study and music haha. Everything else in between is typical stuff you gotta do to live.

Jonny Drama: so is there any bad hablits you cant kick?

brandUn DeShay: hmm.....bein a jerk? thats bout it.

Jonny Drama: no boos, no cigs, no weed, sober livin?

brandUn DeShay: ha exactly, im as clean as a 6yr old.

Jonny Drama: haha, you should put that in a verse

brandUn DeShay: ha it might go, i jus talk and make it rhyme anyways.

Jonny Drama: who are your favorite artists that you have worked with?

brandUn DeShay: Dom Kennedy and Tyler the Creator, Tyler has compos that bring out great stuff from me. Dom is jus one of my favorite rappers period.

Jonny Drama: so you live in chicago right? how did you hook up with the oddfuture camp?

brandUn DeShay: myspace! ha the greatest site for musicians, yea he hit me up like.....idk when, then i found CV and found he was part of OF, then i took that as fate.

brandUn DeShay: did the track wit CV and Ty dug it a lot, then we did one together on this last tape, when we come together, we make classics in my eyes.

Jonny Drama: well i think we should wrap this up, im sure you got other shit to do, any words to the fans?

brandUn DeShay: To the fans, imma sound cliche and just say thank you, id kick it with pretty much any of the n*ggas that like my stuff, for real.

Jonny Drama: any words for the haters? haha

brandUn DeShay:to the haters.....dont watch me, watch TV.

Jonny Drama: that juelz santana shit

brandUn DeShay: ha thats one of my fav rappers too, i was just listenin to the album 2days ago, start to finish.

Jonny Drama: i think cam is trying to start another dip-set, but he cant call that shit dip-set anymore, and it wont be what it was.

brandUn DeShay: hmm......if he picks up me and Tyler, that'll be fly, hes a big fan too.

Jonny Drama: any last words?

brandUn DeShay: hmm.....through God, all things are possible, imma prove it.

Download Vol. 1 For The Money: Here.

Dowload Vol. 2 For The Show: Here.

**gone**

0 comments for this post